Image hosting by Photobucket

Rambling journey of two Moms, figuring out parenthood while attemping to live life in a crumbling victorian amid the symphony of a rescued zoo of animals.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts

Part of a Married in MA two mommy household. I obsess about horses and adore dressage. Love me, love my horse because frankly? She's bigger than you and I have taught her to step on things.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Mommyhood Propaganda

It’s odd… you become a parent and suddenly your whole world revolves around this little person.


Anything that happens to your child strikes you emotionally 10x worse.


So when your baby is sick and hurting…. You are sick and hurting.


I’ve been told this a million times by other moms… but never bought into it.


Well people I’ve bought the propaganda and now I’m a convert. This has been an emotionally draining few days.


Arden is sick and has been sick for about a week. The antibiotics are kicking in and kicking bacterial ass.


So she was in a particularly pissy mood. She finally feels well enough to express that she feels ghastly. Her nose is draining, her cough is breaking up….


This has led to a vicious cycle.


And has brought me to the next bit of mommy propaganda I have bought into…


Bodily fluids of your child will not repulse you quite like those same fluids in any other situation would.


My day was spent sucking snot out of Arden, having Arden wipe her nose on me over and over and...


Getting christened by baby vomit numerous times.


Wet, warm, slimy, smelly, mucous laden baby vomit, in surprising volume.


I can’t stand vomit.


Yet I just calmly hold a basin under her and if I’m not quick enough calmly strip me down, strip her down and mop up whatever surface was unlucky enough to be under both of us.


Basically the mucous breaking up ends up being swallowed and when there is too much….it all comes out with whatever milk is in her stomach at the time.


I’m not saying it smells like roses.


I’m not saying I don’t squirm a bit when she erupts.


But I don’t run from the room screaming.


Huh. Go figure.


Just pat me on the head and call me Mama.


Dora


3 Comments:

Blogger JS said...

Giggling...this is cute! Oh, the things we'll do! She'll love to read this one day. :-)

2:42 PM  
Blogger JS said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Estelle said...

Oh geez... Charlie has been so sick so often that nothing bothers me anymore. Even when I was sleeping in hospital chairs with him and not wearing a shirt and his blood and puss got all crusty on me... didn't bother me at all, I just showered in the morning.
Ya get used to it. And yeah, it hurts when they're hurting. Big time.
Glad you have a blog now! I've been to your other site a few times, but never any blog!

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home