Image hosting by Photobucket

Rambling journey of two Moms, figuring out parenthood while attemping to live life in a crumbling victorian amid the symphony of a rescued zoo of animals.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts

Part of a Married in MA two mommy household. I obsess about horses and adore dressage. Love me, love my horse because frankly? She's bigger than you and I have taught her to step on things.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Part III: Cultural Curtain Call

I guess I owe a bit of an apology or an explanation since this post is a few days late, but lets just say I brought home a viral gift from Chicago that has turned out to be the type that keeps giving.


But a promise is a promise and here is the recap of THE CONVERSATION that made last Friday rank up there with Days I’d Rather Skip…..


After my answer that no, we hadn’t heard from KD regarding Arden she was immediately upset.


Had he forgotten her? Didn’t he care?


I explained that since we spoke constantly that KD knew she was fine.


A quick rebuff from my mom… Didn’t he want to see her? Was he going to reject her later?


For the millionth time I reviewed what I’ve shared here (plus a few more moments that I’m not ready to get into since it is too easy to judge someone without knowing him) and told her that we’d made a conscious decision to live closely by the KD Agreement to avoid more…moments.


I told her he wasn’t the type to ever reject Arden (in fact I think my past posts prove he won’t). I then had the pleasure of listening to her recount some TV program (that I have also watched) about “genius sperm” and a case where on 10 year old girl flew across country to meet her donor and the meeting was horrific.


I point out that that situation was supposed to be entirely anonymous and Arden’s situation was known. Reminded her that the mother in that situation sleuthed out who the donor was. That in my opinion the mother perhaps should have waited until her daughter was older to approach the donor since he, by the way he donated, did not want to ever be known to this girl. But that this woman had made a decision as a parent that she felt was in her child’s best interest and I would make my decisions for Arden as a parent.


In which case she countered with “Well why won’t you have a situation like an open adoption so Arden can know her father.”


GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY.


Insert tape. Press play. Same response heard a thousand times already.


We don’t want to coparent. He doesn’t want to coparent. In fact he tends to want to be more known in a situation that gives him attention. That we can barely handle our own opinions (and unsaid - all the outside opinions)


Once again…He isn’t her father in the traditional sense. He is her donor. A genetic link without any type of parenting role. He will be invited to birthdays. He will be treated much like an uncle.


We accept that eventually Arden and KD will probably develop their own relationship. We’re her parents. We love her and will do whatever is in her best interest no matter the personal cost. Erin and I will deal with that reality then. But right now, during this period and many years to come, our arrangement stands.


My mother is now angry and insists that we’re going to ruin Arden’s and our lives by not treating this as an adoption.


Like the first time she brought this concept out I point out that Arden is not adopted. Our situation is different than adoption.


She points out that I have two adopted aunts who very much needed to know their biological parents. Again I remind her that Arden was conceived with help by both her parents, was brought into the world by both her parents and has been cared for daily by both her parents. She isn’t adopted. Her own conception will of course have its own set of questions but they are different from those my aunts had.


Along with this I review that Arden will exist in the unique world of GLBT culture where she will be surrounded by other families that resemble hers and were created like hers. That with the large support system we’re consciously developing that she will not feel alone. In fact that here she is 6 months old and we’re already organizing a whole Family Outreach for HRC in Boston with events planned to gather a community of support for all children in New England.


To which she counters, now outraged, that there was no such thing as a separate world.


I believe that there is. When I first came out I had to consciously go and find it, hone my gaydar, discover where to go to meet people and develop a social network. Much later in my life such a ‘gay underground’ has helped us land jobs in friendly organizations, find a home or ‘fun extras’ like receiving extra support from airline attendants while traveling with Arden or advice on what to do in whatever town we’re headed towards.


I point all of this out.


Her outrage is reaching the level of fury, insisting that there is not a separate culture, that she is very aware of life and that I am living in a dangerous fantasy world that will only harm Arden.


I remind her that most of our close friends are straight, most of Arden’s school friend’s family will be straight but she is part of a lesbian headed family and may be the only child in her school with two mommies. That there will be times where as a result, she will feel different. She needs to be part of and aware of GLBT culture.


That there are thousands of other families with two mommies in MA. Many of those families created with donor sperm of all types. And those families to provide their children with other families like theirs do come together in parenting support groups and play groups. Right there, that wasn’t fantasy that was reality.


GLBT culture exists along with the life my mother is familiar with. That it sucks that there is veil of ‘separate’, but that while it is a lot thinner here in MA, so much so that she may not notice it, it very much exists. That even today Erin’s and my marriage could come up to a public vote. That in other parts of the country, it is a weighted curtain and until that line of separation is abolished there will be a separate world of GLBT culture.


That GLBT culture is part of Arden’s heritage and part of her upbringing. That she will live a life more enriched for the experience. Already this one child has been shown so much love and acceptance from so many people from all sides of life, how could she not help but to thrive?


This is a conversation that did not end. Erin walked in and my mother is uncomfortable arguing any point that she thinks might be controversial with both of us.


But really it will never have an ending this argument. It is a just a continuation and example of one of our struggles in creating our little family. A struggle my sister and brother will not face with my mother even if one of them had to use a donor to create their children.


A struggle we wouldn’t have had to face if we had just used #3458 from the bank.


But I suppose that is life isn’t it? A constant struggle to each reward.


Tomorrow…. The donor post script.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh man, this is exactly why we went with anonymous. I can envision this conversation with both my mother and my MIL. Good luck in making her understand that Arden has two parents who love her and that while her conception was unorthodox, it wasn't unique, certainly not in the GLBT circles that you frequent.

Also, part of the reason that I was so comfortable using anonymous sperm is because of members of my family who are adopted. NONE of them have any desire to know their biological roots.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

I just had a conversation with my grandmother about the whole "daddy" thing. Grandma thinks it's sad that Eliza doesnt know what a daddy is.

They mean well, but without living it they just dont understand. They cant.

I think you handled it well...but it sounds like something that isnt going to be over soon.

9:31 PM  
Blogger JS said...

Dora - I think you are handling this beautifully with your mother. Maybe one day she will be able to hear the points you are making. My mother is very okay with the sperma bank donor decision we made, but it was brought up by her that we use a friend of mine...someone she always wanted me to marry (before I came out). I no longer have to imagine what that could have ended up like, thanks to you sharing your story. And I'm sorry you are dealing with this, but better to get it hashed out now rather than later when someone could actually talk to Arden about this before they have a complete understanding. I hope this resolves sooner rather than later and that she will see Arden's loving (immediate) family consists of you and Erin. Thinking of you as you go through this.....

4:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good gracious. I'm so sorry you have to keep having the same conversation. When my mom tries to get that way with me about my decisions I totally cut her off, almost rudely, because otherwise she'd never shut up and just be up my ass about it constantly. Difference is my mom lives several states away, while I know you are close with your family.

I hope she gets it soon. Maybe you could give her some stuff from COLAGE or PFLAG or something to read, it might help.

Also, we have friends who are moving to Northampton in just a couple weeks, they have two little girls (5mths and 18mths), do you know of any lgbt family stuff going on there?

6:56 AM  
Blogger Lo said...

Dora, you are brave and wise and helpful to post about this stuff. One thing I have learned from you is that I have to talk to my mom about our potential decision to use a KD. And about the fact that she will not be invited to meet him, etc.
I know that doesn't help you. But, thank you for helping so many of us.

9:11 AM  
Blogger party b said...

I grew up without a father (which *some* people think is my "root" I suppose) and am so sensitive to the whole "children need daddies" line of thinking. Not all kids do - some do far better to know they are loved by an extensive network.

I don't know if it hasn't come up yet, but my mom has NOT said a WORD about the donor/daddy/father thing. The other side hasn't said anything explicit but has shown some curiosity.

Then again, we are (well, we WERE) considered the "good" kind of lesbian - you know, we don't make waves and "just live our lives" - MUCH of that has changed... and trying to get ourselves in a place where our child will see many types and configurations of family is so important!!!

I love these posts - they are so thoughtful and I keep crying (which I am chalking up to the damned hormones!)

1:35 PM  
Blogger Shelli said...

oy. man oh manischievetz even!

You never know HOW your mom may have reacted if it was "just" #1234 from Cali Cryo.

I can share stories from my mom, but this is YOUR blog, and I'm here to support you! :)

In the meantime, know that you are not alone in your own parental struggle, adn quite honestly, I think you've handled it MUCH more eloquently than I ever could have.

Love and luck to you,
xo,
S

7:44 PM  
Blogger Mo said...

Dora, I'm sorry that you are going through all this with your mom, but like others have said, you are doing a great job trying to explain things and you are also a fabulous writer. I would like to put a link to your blog on mine if you don't mind?

Also, it's funny because we did use anonymous, but have had contact with our donor through the donor sibling registry. My mom is so upset about this. She thinks we should just keep to ourselves. I have decided that I will no longer discuss this issue with my mom because I don't think we will ever agree. I think it's good to be concerned about the future of our kids, but frankly I think people spend way too much time worrying about something that won't be such a huge issue.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Mama2Arden said...

Hi,

Sure you can link to the blog, flattered that you'd want to.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Mo said...

Thanks, Dora. I'm such a dork that it took me forever to find your blog again, but now I'm going to link it and I won't have that problem.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home