Image hosting by Photobucket

Rambling journey of two Moms, figuring out parenthood while attemping to live life in a crumbling victorian amid the symphony of a rescued zoo of animals.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts

Part of a Married in MA two mommy household. I obsess about horses and adore dressage. Love me, love my horse because frankly? She's bigger than you and I have taught her to step on things.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Savor the Storm

Sunday was a family affair type of day.


My mother had my second cousins up from Marshfield, dragged my sister out of Boston and my brother out of Waltham. The courses were many and the food delicious. We chatted about Turkey (one of my cousins is due to be stationed there) and admired my brother’s new BMW (never has there been a car more beloved by an owner).


In due process the conversation turned to the evitable…


“So when are you two going to have another baby?”


It’s a half in jest half serious question. 100% expected, much like “What’s the weather like?” or “How about those Red Sox” (a question that could also lead to a three hour discourse if presented to any member of my family save, Erin, my mother or myself).


I gave my usual stock response of “Sure as hell not now.” It’s an answer that I don’t have to think about or even consider beyond coming out of my mouth.


Yesterday I thought about it while playing with Arden.


Serious thought of a second child is just far away, hidden in our horizon. Frankly we can’t afford it. Truly what is wrong with that?


Arden is only 6 months old.


She our bright yellow balloon, carefree and passing through life playing in the breeze.


Just looking at her makes me happy.


Somehow she is different every morning. The changes are so constant and so rapid it takes every ounce of my attention just to keep up with them.


From the way she holds a toy to what suddenly captures her attention, each moment is refreshing and vibrant (if you see a Lab/??? mix running down 93 you’re probably looking at our Lucy, trying to escape from Arden’s recent fascination with her) She is starting to develop a sense of humor and figuring out that food is an experience to be had.


Right now Arden has two parents whose attention is utterly focused on her and our journey into parenthood. As the constant blizzard of life storms around us our days as new parents are stunningly beautiful, unique crystals.


I just don’t feel the need to plow through her babyhood, trying to clear the way for something new. I want to enjoy her and absorb every change and savor every second.


Am I really all that strange?

4 Comments:

Blogger Lo said...

I don't know if you're strange, Dora, because I am not yet a parent (although I can't wait)...but it doesn't sound strange to me. Not AT ALL.

8:14 PM  
Blogger party b said...

I get that! I can't believe the pressure people put on you right away to have more.... I have only been asked twice - once by my mother and once by my MIL... but since I am 3 months away from having ANY kid I can only imagine what its going to be like. I guess once they know you can/will make a baby they want MORE...

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's really strange, the way people are constantly asking this question. it drives me crazy!! we are just getting to be ready to dip our feet into the world of TTC again, j is 17 months old. i could not imagine doing it sooner because she is STILL our little tiny baby, nor can i even imagine doing it soon, but here goes!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Having Michael is enough for me right now!! I can't believe the audacity of old ladies at the MALL who don't know us, that just come over and ask a.) how old he is and b.) when does he get a brother or a sister ??

Um... not now. I want to enjoy the one I have first!! I'm still learning!

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home