Image hosting by Photobucket

Rambling journey of two Moms, figuring out parenthood while attemping to live life in a crumbling victorian amid the symphony of a rescued zoo of animals.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts

Part of a Married in MA two mommy household. I obsess about horses and adore dressage. Love me, love my horse because frankly? She's bigger than you and I have taught her to step on things.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

A Million Shards of Sound


Arden is in the midst of the cold that won’t end.


Today when we went for her 6 month well baby visit the ped decided that she was unwell enough not to give her the next series of vaccinations.


Which suits me just fine because I can’t stand watching her get shots, a fact that fascinates me since I can give myself shots without a shrug and in the past have cheerfully punctured my horses’ jugular veins to get a Coggins sample.


The appointment was at 8am and our drive is just long enough that I was out the door bright and early. The sun was shining and as I loaded Arden into the car the air was just buzzing.


Car doors slamming, birds singing…..


And then it hit me.


If you’ve lived in New England what I’m about to say will make sense.


Winter here is quiet. Beyond the cold when you walk out the door the first thing, even living in a city like we do, you just are aware that the air around you is still. Sounds like a car engine vibrate off the sidewalk and migrate through you.


Some people say Winter is dead… I feel more like everything is asleep.


Then one morning you wake up and even though the air is still icy on your cheeks and the grass brown and hidden under patches of snow, the world is awash with sound.


Birds clamoring, people walking by, children running to the bus, a million shards of sound combining into the din of life. You have to pay attention to discern what is making each noise


Spring is finally here!


Sure another snow storm may wallop us next weekend but the change is here.


Arden’s first spring.


I can’t wait to finally get outdoors and explore it with her.


Parks, camping, HRC Family Events, Pride, the beach...


Where to start?

2 Comments:

Blogger Lo said...

a) That child is *gorgeous.*
b) You had a horse??
c) Yes, I remember that about winter in New England. I remember how quiet it is. Wow.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Shelli said...

You are SO totally right - it's the "crisp" air, versus the "warm" air that happens here in NYC, too.

So sorry the cute little bub is ill!

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home